Friday, July 12, 2019

Lost Week


This post is just a quick catch-up so my next (from Bologna!) will be current.

Something about this week wasn't worth blogging about. It's been hot, I've had a sore throat which turned into a smoker's cough, took a Benadryl (to try to sleep through the night) which had me sleeping through the next two days. I stayed inside one complete day, drinking water and chamomile tea with honey, and sleeping, and did almost a 180 the next day. WHEW.

Today's Friday. Saturday of last week, Fred and I went to the very-nearby-but-previously-un-visited-by-us town of Celleno. It is known as a dead city because its inhabitants moved from the original cliff-side center to its outskirts for fear of it falling away -- as it had begun to do. But it didn't. So people can go see it. Very cool. But oh so hot and not a lot of walking for me to do, so I read in a cool coffee shop where a cute dog visited for a few minutes. Also keeping me company was a young woman Facetiming a friend for two hours. 





They make benches, caffé tables, and these staging platforms for selling plants and flowers -- to be level in a hilly town. Two legs are much shorter than the other two, plus they all have screw-in adjustable pegs on the bottoms to customize the angle.


Tiniest little hornet's nest! 

The sweet little dog waited for its owner to get her order.



Next stop was Civitella D'Agliano where we were, once again, lucky enough to stumble upon a festa. These are always great fun because they really give us a look at living in a community as an Italian. This town is known for its wine.  We call it the Porcupine wine because of its logo --- but the winery is called Sergio Mottura.  The festa wasn't officially about geese, but there were two goose dishes -- roasted goose and pasta with goose ragu. 


The door to the "Porcupine" winery.


This whole spread was 32 euro --- which struck us as unusually high for these Italian festas.
The culprit:  the wine! 10 euro per bottle. It's the good stuff!


Before

After



And finally -- cats. I do love to pat a cat, and don't get many chances to do so in my life. I can count on seeing maybe one per week here in Italy, and I did see a few this day in Civitella D'Agliano. Then suddenly, the MOTHERLODE. I found the woman who feeds them. They followed her to her home... where she disappeared for quite some time, and when she finally came out, she did not disappoint. She had food and water. And I, well, I was rewarded, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment